See the Lives & Times of the Snickersville Academy at the
September 3, 2016
By Susan Freis Falknor
The newly restored Snickersville Academy, built in 1825 as Bluemont's
first school and church, will be open to visitors Saturday and
Sunday from 10-4 during the 2016 Bluemont Fair, September 17-18.
Come and see our restoration!
A handsome new permanent sign in front of the building will tell
visitors about the Lives and Times of the Snickersville
The Snickersville Academy--a simple log cabin, built by the settlers
from native stone and trees--operated for about a half-century
under the supervision of a group of volunteer neighborhood trustees.
The Academy sits in a wooded spot behind historic Carrington House--right
by the mountain stream that runs down through the back yards of
Bluemont houses along the southeast side of Snickersville Turnpike.
Amos and Elizabeth Clayton, who lived in the stone manor house
known as Clayton Halland who would have 12 children between
1800 and 1828?donated a half-acre of their land behind the stone
tavern across the street, now known as Carrington House.
The Snickersville Academy served the community as a free
church (we now use the term, ecumenical church)
for 25 years.
Then in 1851, about a decade before the Civil War, a new generation
of neighbors built the villages old stone church (now the
Bluemont United Methodist Church).
But all through the Civil War (1861-1865) and afterward, the villages
children kept on coming to this one-room, rural schoolhouse to
learn how to read, write, do arithmetic, and understand the wider
In 1872, the multi-classroom Mountain Shadow School, the villages
first public school, was built near the old stone church.
The old schoolhouse became rental housing for almost
In 2010, when the Hatcher family sold their mountain farm to Boulder
Crest Retreat (a new place of respite for military and veteran
families), they gave the Snickersville Academy and the land on
which it sits to Friends of Bluemont. The buildings restoration
that began then is now complete.